In need of some new ways to use your kale this week? Salads and sauteed greens can get a little mundane after awhile. But hiiding your kale in this flavor-packed red lentil dal is an exciting way to use up your greens and you’ll hardly notice you’re eating ’em! This dish is flavorful, nourishing, and so satisfying.
**Side note: You can get your red lentils from the SLO Veg Marketplace. Get them delivered with your harvest box this week!
Recipe from: Melissa Hemsley and Jasmine Hemsley from Food and Wine
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 small fresh red chiles, thinly sliced
- 1 quart chicken stock or broth
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups red lentils, picked over (13 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro stems, plus chopped leaves for garnish
- 1/2 pound kale, stemmed and leaves coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- Sea salt
For full recipe click here.
*The featured image is a stock photo meant to represent this dish.