Savory dish punctuated with sweet butternut squash. Its caramelized goodness goes so well with the flavors of garlic, chili, spinach, walnuts and lemon
Recipe by: Lazy Cat Kitchen
- 200 g spaghetti (use gluten-free if you are gluten-intolerant)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 cups of cubed butternut squash / pumpkin*
- about 100 g spinach
- ½-1 tsp chili flakes (depending on level of heat and your preference)
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 30 g walnuts, finely chopped
- Coat cubed butternut squash in 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt. Bake in a hot oven 435º F for about 40-50 minutes, until butternut squash turns soft and gets lightly caramelized.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Fry off garlic gently on a low-medium heat, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn. Add chili flakes and cook for another minute or two stirring frequently.
- Cook spaghetti for a minute shorter than you would normally.
- Mash half the butternut squash with a fork or potato masher (you can also use a food processor or blender for a smoother texture). Put both mashed and whole butternut squash chunks into the pan with chili and garlic.
- Add drained pasta and washed spinach into the pan. Incorporate them well into the pumpkin. Taste and season with pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and additional salt and chili if needed.
- Serve immediately with chopped walnuts and lemon zest on top.