Soup can be enjoyed year round. This Slow Cooker Tomatillo Chicken Soup can be ready for dinner on a busy weeknight in just a few hours.
- 6 medium tomatillos, husks removed and divided
- 1 1/2 boneless chicken breasts
- 32-ounce carton reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
Rinse the tomatillos. Chop three of them and set them aside. Place the other three in a blender and blend until smooth. Place chicken in the slow cooker. Add the chopped tomatillos, pureed tomatillos and then next 9 ingredients.
Cook on high for 3 1/2 hours. Shred the chicken with two forks and stir the mixture. Cook for an additional 15 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.