This roasted fennel dish is sweet and mellow and the perfect side for any occasion. It is simple to make and takes no effort as it roasts happily in the oven
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried chives
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375 º Cut the fronds off the fennel bulbs and then cut each of them in half. (reserve the fronds)
- Slice the halves into 8mm (1/3-inch) slices.
- Pour half of the olive oil over the base of your baking dish.
- Arrange the fennel in a single layer.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Season with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- And roast for 35 minutes.
- Check the fennel is fork tender then remove from the oven, sprinkle with the dried chives and grated parmesan.
- Bake for a further 3-5 minutes to just melt the cheese.
- Chop some of the reserved fennel fronds.
- Sprinkle with the fresh chives (and some of the reserved fennel fronds) and serve.