Fish and citrus are a no-brainer, although lemon and lime are the more usual pairings. Here, mandarins in a buttery sauce prove to be more than up to the job.
- 2 sides pink snapper (about 450gm each), skin on, pin-boned
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated rind of 1 mandarin and ½ lemon, plus lemon juice to serve
- Thinly shaved fennel, to serve
Mandarin and fennel sauce
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 100 ml mandarin juice
- 75 ml lemon juice
- 130 gm chilled butter, diced
- 2 mandarins, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, segmented
- Fronds reserved from fennel bulb
Serve over mashed potatoes
Main: For the garlic mash, cover the potato in a large saucepan with plenty of cold salted water, bring to the boil and cook until tender (15-20 minutes). Drain and return to pan to steam dry. In a separate saucepan, bring cream, butter and garlic to a simmer, then add to potato and mash until smooth. Season to taste.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C. Place snapper skin-side down on a large roasting tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with oil, scatter with mandarin and lemon rinds and season to taste. Roast until cooked through (8-10 minu