Even if your family enjoyed ham over Thanksgiving, this recipe is so packed with fresh, complex flavors it’ll taste like a completely different meal. It’s seasoned with ingredients like fresh orange juice, star anise, rye whiskey and fresh herbs. What a treat!
Recipe by: The Bon Appetit Test Kitchen
- 1 12-pound fresh ham, cut from the shank end
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 whole star anise
- 1/3 cup rye whiskey or bourbon
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chilled unsalted butter
For full recipe click here.